Monday, June 18, 2012

a little lunch run.

Lots of running takes up lots of time.  Even though I'm currently still in the "pre-training" phase of marathon prep, I'm trying to schedule as many longer (yet non-intense) runs during the week that I can, just to get used to putting at least an hour or so aside every day that is focused solely on pounding the pavement.


The time commitment... I struggle with this.  If you know me, you're likely aware of the fact that I am very much a morning person.  I'll take a 5am flight over a 5pm flight any day.  On Saturdays, I'm up by 6 to run, showered and ready for the day by 7:30, errands and grocery shopping have been done by 10, and I'm home with breakfast for me and Brian (who is assuredly still dead to the world) by 11.  It's how I work.  


When it comes to working out during the week, I am the exact same way-- I would so much rather have a run tucked away all complete and happy by 6am than be dreading it all day for me to work in around 6pm when I finally make the commute home.  One negative about living outside of Boston and working in the city is the commute-- we leave by 7 in the morning and I walk in my office door at 8:30.  If I make it out for the day between 4:45 and 5, I'm on the train until around 6:30.  Basically, even if I feel really pumped and ready for a run when I leave... by the time I get home I kind of just want to nap.  Cram in a workout plus a shower, then making and eating dinner (and an episode or two of Mad Men if possible) and I'm falling asleep on the couch by 9:30.  


It's okay.  I know that I'm old.


Knowing how much of a time commitment training for the marathon would be, I knew that I had to find a solution.  Enter my lunch time runs.  In an effort to make my evenings as stress-free and enjoyable as possible (for all parties involved), I've started running on my lunch break, and then just working while eating when I get back to my desk.  The first time I tried I was nervous because although I was running in a super safe area in the middle of the day in a really busy part of town, I had no idea where I was REALLY going.  Yes, it was a big loop but still-- if someone can get confused running a loop, it would be me.  From start to finish, my route is a little over two miles, so running it twice has been perfect so far.  The trail is a really popular spot to run in Boston (but I'm totally not sharing where because hello, creepsters out there) and quite scenic-- basically the run flies by.  Since I'm still getting used to long runs, this is ideal for me.


Today's run: 4 miles in a little under 40 minutes
Negatives: a cramp in the arch of my left foot that won't stop
Positives: i don't have to run when i get home!  and enjoying the gorgeous afternoon outside-- texas friends, it was in the 70s here today.  SEVENTIES!


$250 down, $2750 to go!!  swing by my fundraising page!

No comments:

Post a Comment