Wednesday, July 11, 2012

I am officially just a number!

This morning I received my official invitation from the New York Road Runners association to run the marathon!  


Truthfully, I had no idea this invitation was coming-- after already starting my fundraising and training, I assumed I was just good to go.  While browsing the marathon website, I did kind of wonder at what point the Boston Children's part of my experience would tie into the actual OFFICIAL marathon... so I guess I now have my answer!


A negative?  While I paid a deposit to run with the BCH team, I did NOT realize there was also an acceptance fee to run with the NYRR.  When I hear the word "fee" I think of small numbers-- $25, $30... maybe $100 if we're getting prestigious.  $266... that is not a number that I ponder.


Of course, that's what my race fee is, which just might be more than every road race fee that I've ever paid COMBINED.  But, I digress.  I'm already knee (or shin... yes, I'm definitely shin deep) in this and am 100% committed, so now it's just forking over the cash.


I feel like I've heard before that people are encouraged to run because it's a cheap sport-- you just lace up your shoes and run out of your front door.  Yes, THAT part is cheap.  What's not cheap?


The $80 compression pants, $15 cushioned socks, and $27 breathable top that you put on pre-lace up.


The $150 running shoes, possibly with $50 custom made orthotics to prevent those pesky shin splints that had to be purchased at the running specialty store so someone younger (and way more athletic) than you can stare at your feet while you run on a treadmill to determine which shoes are best for you.


The Garmin that you strap to your wrist to navigate your pace/splits/direction/heart rate/calories burned for a cool $300.


The $22 Nuun tablets you dump into your water bottle to rehydrate post-run.


The $25 copay to the orthopaedic doctors who you scurry off to visit whenever an ache or pain doesn't immediately work itself out.


Running... is not cheap.  It probably could be.  In fact, it definitely could be.  It's obviously not a requirement to be outfitted with this stuff, but when you fall for a sport as hard as I (and many, many other runners) have, it's difficult to pull yourself away!  It's kind of sick-- new flavors of energy tablets and bars are to me what a JCrew sale are to others.  Okay, I still like a good JCrew sale, but still-- I never thought I'd be pumped over the improved flavor of a Gu shot.


As much money as I may chunk at this hobby?  activity?  sport? I know that one thing is for sure.  Running has become my therapy.  If I'm stressed, I can almost always guarantee that a good run will give me clarity (and yes I'm human-- there are days where the thought of putting on my running shoes makes me want to throw things across the room) and I know that it gives me a better outlook on my day (hence, why I prefer to run in the AM).  


So basically, the lighter my pockets due to running, the lighter my mind is due to stress.  Right?


Who knows-- I'm off to raid my money tree and finally buy new shoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment