Friday, August 17, 2012

I ran a Niner. And it stunk.

Last Saturday morning, I ran nine miles.  9.  NINE.  I'm not really sure how to describe it, even though admitting that is like breaking the first cardinal rule of blogging.  Brian and I had been chatting and running the longer distances close to our apartment was getting to be really difficult.  Pretty much any way you turn, the roads are really busy and the sidewalks are cracked and crumbly (that doesn't paint a pretty picture for my Texans, I'd imagine...), so it's hard to get into a long run and kind of zone out.  It's safe (and I always carry my runners mace-- thanks Jannie) and all but it's just... hard.  And running lots of miles is hard enough, so why add more obstacles?

The final straw kind of came when I ran my 8 miler.  There's this one section of sidewalk along my route that is AWFUL.  It also just happens to be along the busiest street in our town.  It's all driveways split with cracked cement mixed with dirt mounds... obviously the best running surface out there.  When I run this part, I definitely think of it as my trail run and am leaping and bounding to land in the right spots.  In my head, I look like Katniss from The Hunger Games, sprinting through the forest (there are totally trees and branches and vines): 


Alas, Katniss I am not, so I try to block out what passersby are thinking as the girl in hot pink leaps along as Kanye sings in her ear.  Guarantee I'm not looking as light-footed as I feel.  Anyways, the last run I did along that road I landed funny and almost twisted my ankle.  I was also exhausted and dehydrated, so that probably played a part as well.  But I decided I was DONE with that long run route.

Since my Saturday mornings consist of trips to Target and Trader Joe's in Hanover anyways, we decided it would make sense for me to start running in Scituate.  So this past Friday I laid out everything I would need for the next morning (again with the lies about just lacing your sneaks and running out the front door!): my clothes, shoes, FIFTEEN DOLLAR running socks, iPod case, headphones, a packet of Gu Chomps, sunscreen, my Camelbak backpack was filled with water and in the fridge chilling, and my iPod was charging.  My alarm went off at 6:30 Saturday morning and I was off. 

I was feeling really proud of myself and excited on my drive down and maybe a little emotional (why?  Because I'm Katie.) because I definitely got completely choked up as I was singing along to this song on the radio:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XILyHZyyCik" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I kid you not.  Couldn't get the words out.  

As I pulled into the parking lot I'd mapped out and at that moment, it occurred to me that I felt like an official runner, like a pre-marathoner.  I tucked my Gu and car key into my Camelbak and buckled myself in: 


Let me tell you, it's even more attractive ON.  With my iPod on and my hat adjusted, I was off.  I'd already mapped out my distance so I knew where I was heading.

Can I just say now that when you drive a distance, you never really think about how far it actually is?  For all of you Scitutes, in my head I knew I had to run from the driftway Dunkin Donuts, loop Peggotty, loop the Lighthouse then run straight back down the Driftway.  EASY STUFF. 

Wrong.  An easy route, yes.  Flat and smooth and easy to zone out?  Absolutely.  Did I hit any walls during my run?  About a million.  Thoughts that went through my head?

Miles 1-3: 
It's buggy.  
The humidity is gross.  
It's foggy. 
Love the smell of that sea bree-- why the eff does it smell like clam chowder?
*Hit Peggotty's incline and took a Gu*
There is NO WAY I'm running this hill.
I AM FLYING!!
Miles 4-6:
My nose is itching.  
My ankle hurts.  
The arch of my left foot hurts.  
I wonder if I'll see anyone I know.
Save some energy to sprint through the Harbor and look impressive.
*Realized I'm an idiot for sprinting through the Harbor and took 2 Gu*
That old man just passed you.
Ooh, I love running by the Lighthouse.
Cute dog!
That old man just passed you again.
Miles 7-9: 
I'm dead.  DEAD.  There's no way I'm going to run 26.2 miles!
*Hit the Harbor and took 2 Gu*
I'M FLYING!  I HOPE I SEE SOMEONE I KNOW!  I'M TOTALLY GOING TO BE THAT ANNOYING MOM SOMEDAY WHO RUNS WHILE EFFORTLESSLY PUSHING THREE KIDS IN A RUNNING STROLLER!

Training ain't pretty, my friends.  Once I hit the 8.5, I knew I was good and just slowly enjoyed the last little bit of the run.  It wasn't terrible but could have been better; it wasn't awesome but could have been way worse.  Regardless, I finished 9 miles.  My legs were rubber when I got back to the Jeep, but I felt amazing.  

I've had a weird cramp on and off in the arch of my left foot for the last week and have an appointment this Thursday with Sports Medicine, so I'm hoping to get that little issue squared away.  Just to be safe though, I'm sticking to the treadmill at the apartment for tomorrow's long run in case it starts to flare up.  I do not need to get stuck 5 miles away from the car and hobble 5 miserable miles back-- no thank you!  So, I'll be making friends with Sandy tomorrow morning-- my current movie is The Blindside.  It makes me cry and laugh and forget the fact that I'm a hamster in a spinny wheel for the next hour and a half.

Happy weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment