Monday, August 6, 2012

The key to 8 miles is distraction!

Yesterday morning, I conquered my dreaded 8 miles.  For the past few weeks, while I was working out the schedule adjustments with the Level 1/Level 2 combo/switch, I was experiencing intense doubts of both confidence and capability... as in I was confident that I was not capable of running 8 miles.

Maybe it was maintaining my mileage during the week but drastically bringing the long run mileage down.

Maybe it was successfully running a tiny bit over 7 last weekend and although I nearly fainted from not hydrating enough, I felt like I could run forever.

Maybe it was all of the Olympic coverage of the marathoners and distance runners-- if they can run 10,000 kilometers and not even break a sweat, surely I can run 8 miles at a slower pace than normal.

Maybe (more likely than any other reason) it was the fact that I knew at some point, people were going to get sick of hearing me say "Oh yea... I'll get to 8... soon.  Just gotta work up the endurance a little more!  Almost there!"

So with that in mind, I headed to the gym yesterday morning to face my demons.  Now, I'd like to take a moment to reiterate how intensely I dislike the treadmill.  With a passion.  Of a million fires and all of that jazz.  Running on a belt and staring at the wall is incomparable to getting outside and having constantly changing scenery to distract you.  I knew that if I was going to survive the run, I had to bring in the big guns:



That's right.  Two episodes of Lorelai and Rory Gilmore coached me through my run on my Kindle.  And I gotta tell you, the miles FLEW by.  It's important to me to run outside as much as possible since the marathon is obviously not run on a treadmill, but it's nice to know that when the going gets tough, I can bring in the crew from Stars Hollow to pep it up.

Positives from this past week?  Very little soreness, even though I racked up a total of 22 miles, which is crazy to even think about having run.  Also, 8 miles equals 1252 calories burned-- yes to that!

Negatives? The humidity.  And I tried Gu Chomps, watermelon flavored.  The pro was that I loved the flavor and didn't have issues with an aftertaste or anything.  Con?  I nearly choked/suffocated trying to chew, swallow, and breathe all at once.  Doing this while sitting, yes.  While running?  Add it to my list of "Things I must get used to."

On the schedule for this week...
M: 4 easy miles
T: 4 mile Fartlek
W: Rest
Th: 3 mile tempo run + 1-2 mile WU/CD
F: XT 60 minutes
S: 9 mile long run


Swing by my Fundraising Page!!

2 comments:

  1. Um, I love this. Can I say that watching re-runs of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" on Hulu has been the only thing making me work out at the gym lately?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Gilmore Girls!!!!
      Oh how we used to love to watch them together :)
      I'm glad you had them to keep you company.

      RUN KATIE, RUN!!!!!!

      XOXO

      Delete